Monday, March 30, 2009

How to import SSIS package protected by password to Integration Services

Ok, so that I can remember how to do this again. When importing SSIS package from development machine to server and the package protection level is "Encrypt sensitive data with password", this is for example, when you have a package that queries from an Oracle database, and you wanted to encrypt your credentials. I always forget to specify the package protection level. I don't know if it's because of me or the UI, the Protection level textbox is grayed out so one would normally assume that it's not needed. Then one would think that everything is ok until the package is executed, and you wonder why it errors out. So anyway, so I don't forget and to save me time in finding errors that traces back to not specifying passwords properly, I'm taking these notes on how to specify package protection level...

1. In Stored Packages, right click in MSDB then select Import Package...
2. For Package Location, select File System.
3. Specify Package path and Package name.
4. Then click the ellipsis button next to the Protection level textbox...

5. Now select "Encrypt sensitive data with password", then enter password...

0 comments: